It was argued that after the beating they took in Monday’s by-elections that the NDP needed some good news, and when the press release went out yesterday morning, they said that Thomas Mulcair would be making a “major announcement.” When it happened, however, it had all leaked – former Bloc MP Maria Mourani would be joining the party. Sort of. In front of a backdrop and with a giant novelty-sized membership card at the Chateau Laurier, rather than one of the other press theatres on the Hill, Mulcair and Mourani announced that she was taking out a membership with the party and would probably seek the nomination for the party in her current riding, but they were going to play it cute and while she would vote in lockstep with the party, she would remain an independent MP for the remainder of the term and not join caucus because of the NDP’s ridiculous policy that any floor-crossings require a by-election, because apparently we elect parties and not MPs in this country (a belief that is apparently shared in their demand for proportional representation). So, a “major announcement.” Andrew Coyne argues in favour of making floor-crossers run in a by-election only if they are crossing the floor to take a cabinet seat.
Tag Archives: RCMP
Roundup: Del Mastro found guilty
Conservative-turned-Independent Conservative MP Dean Del Mastro has been found guilty, along with his official agent, of election overspending in 2008, and Del Mastro faces the possibility of three years in jail plus $6000 in fines. Del Mastro, obstinately, believes that the conviction is just the judge’s opinion, and that it’s not over, though there’s no indication on what grounds he would appeal. He told CBC that there’s more evidence of his innocence that wasn’t introduced at trial, but if he thinks he can introduce that at the appeal stage, well, good luck, because they almost never allow that. The question of his fate comes next, because there is some ambiguity as to whether he will be forced to vacate his seat and lose the ability to run in another election for five years – as stipulated by the Elections Act – or if they plan to wait until he is out of appeals, which could be a lengthy process. Del Mastro says he plans to be at work on Monday (sentencing isn’t until near the end of November), but the Government House Leader has recommended that the matter be referred to the Procedure and House Affairs committee, where a determination could be made there. It appears that Del Mastro had been offered a plea deal earlier that would have had him pay a fine, probably enter into a compliance agreement, and have it be over with. Instead, he went to court, and had the judge call out his credibility, which is going to be very, very difficult to recover from. And while the former Law Clerk of the Commons, Rob Walsh, said that it would be in Del Mastro’s best interest to resign to minimise the damage, Del Mastro’s behaviour to date would seem to indicate someone who doesn’t know when to quit, and who will likely obstinately push this to the bitter end.
Roundup: A funeral felt by the nation
In Hamilton, the three party leaders attended the funeral of Corporal Nathan Cirillo, the Prime Minister speaking and addressing Cirillo’s son. The city and large numbers of first responders turned out for the funeral, and lined the streets of the procession. The Queen also sent her condolences as the regiment’s Colonel-in-Chief.
Sad exchange of letters. pic.twitter.com/s57rI0qTI4
— Stephen Maher (@stphnmaher) October 28, 2014
US Secretary of State John Kerry was in town yesterday, where he paid tribute to Corporal Cirillo, before he and Baird spoke about last week’s shootings as terrorism, and he and Harper met to discuss topics such as Russia, Ukraine, and the Keystone XL Pipeline. Michael Petrou breaks down the meaning of the visit here.
QP: Ignoring questions on oversight
It was another day without major leaders in the Commons, as they were at the funeral of Corporal Nathan Cirillo in Hamilton, leaving some sparser-than-usual seats in the Chamber as a result. Libby Davies led off, asking about the CSIS bill and the need for more civilian oversight. Stephen Blaney responded instead with a paean to Corporal Cirillo. Davies repeated the need of better oversight, citing the Arar Inquiry, the loss of the Inspector General at CSIS and the vacancies on SIRC. Blaney said that privacy rights were in the bill, and that that there was already strong oversight in SIRC. Davies pointed out the SIRC report citing how uncooperative CSIS, to the point of misleading them. Blaney thanked SIRC for the report, and largely ignored the concerns that were addressed. Nycole Turmel repeated the questions in French, and Blaney praised the bill rather than answer the issue of concerns. Ralph Goodale led off for the Liberals, and wondered about adequate resources for security services, wondering if an analysis of funding levels was being undertaken. Blaney said that the various agencies were reviewing what happened last week, but didn’t answer Goodale’s question. Goodale asked for an estimate of what incremental funding that the RCMP and CSIS would require to increase their operations, to which Blaney repeated his claim that they increased their funding already by one third. Dominic LeBlanc closed out the round, asking again about resources but in French. Blaney repeated his evasion in French in response.
Roundup: Powers to spite the Supreme Court
The government’s new CSIS bill got tabled yesterday, but because it was due to be tabled before the attacks happened last week, there is really nothing in there that responds to those attacks, and doesn’t include any of the previously reported measures like criminalizing the promotion of terrorism online. Instead, what it does is extend source protection and warrant provisions to help them conduct investigations when suspects go overseas. These provisions are largely in response to Supreme Court rulings that said that CSIS sources don’t have the same kind of blanket protections that police sources do. I’m also not sure about the provision for a warrant to investigate outside of the country, given that, well, it’s not the jurisdiction of our courts, so we would need some kind of agreements to operate in those countries I would think. The bill is also designed to help facilitate information sharing between our Five Eyes partners, but there are no corresponding accountability mechanisms, because the government insists that the current oversight from SIRC is “robust” and good enough. Never mind that SIRC faced significant delays in getting needed information from CSIS during their investigations, and that they misled SIRC in the course of another investigation. But hey, the oversight is “robust” and all.
Roundup: Tours resume, security under review
Parliament Hill’s return to normal continues apace, with public tours resuming today. House of Commons and Senate security forces are also now looking at ways to better cooperate and merge some operations, but will remain separate administrations answering to each chamber’s Speaker. (This is because in the event of a physical confrontation between members of either chamber, Senators don’t want their own security answering to the Commons Speaker, leaving them vulnerable). Speaker Scheer on the Commons side has ordered a major security review, and will also be part of the OPP review of Wednesday’s incident, something RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson has asked for.
Roundup: Answers in the aftermath
In the aftermath of Wednesday’s attack, it was an emotional morning on the Hill, with ovations for Sergeant-at-Arms Kevin Vickers, speeches by the party leaders, the sight of Harper hugging the opposition leaders, and then, the reconstruction of events.
The RCMP held a briefing later in the day that included surveillance footage of the events outside of the Centre Block, and it was clear how fast everything happened, from the shooting at the War Memorial, him getting into the car, pulling it around to the Elgin entrance onto the Hill, getting out, running up near East Block, hijacking a minister’s car, driving the rest of the way to the Centre Block, where he ran into the front doors, had a confrontation with a guard that resulted in that guard being shot in the leg, then with RCMP in pursuit, the shooter headed down the Hall of Honour toward his eventual demise as he and Vickers traded shots from around a pillar. All in the space of maybe four minutes.
QP: Updates, softballs, and dodges
After yesterday’s events, and the statements and hugs on the floor of the Commons earlier this morning, things were settling back into their routine on the Hill. All of the leaders were present for QP, and most of the benches full, partisan members’ statements were eschewed in favour of tributes to soldiers and police, and of course, the Sergeant-At-Arms. Thomas Mulcair led things off by asking for an update about the events yesterday and about security measures for the public at large. Harper said that he was briefed and they are looking at options to increase the powers to surveil and to detain terror suspects. Mulcair asked for a public information session on the event to clarify any questions, to which Harper said that he understood that police would hold some kind of briefing later in the day. Mulcair asked about any measures being taken for those specific cases for those who have had their passports revoked, but Harper insisted that it was not confirmed that yesterday’s shooter had his passport revoked, and that there were those out there who wish to do Canadians harm. Mulcair asked for reassurance that Parliament would remain open to the public — not that it’s his decision. Harper noted that there have been incidents in the past but they wanted to remain in the same principle as before. For his final question, Mulcair wanted it noted that even if people disagree on how safety measures are achieved that they hold the same goals — not actually asking a question. Harper took the opportunity to opine on Canada’s record of unbroken democratic governance. Justin Trudeau was up next, and and brought up Paulson’s statement about the 90 individual on watch lists, and if he could update them on how many there are now. Harper said that he didn’t think the number had changed radically and that it was more of a question for security agencies. Trudeau asked about the passport revocation issue, and asked what actions were being made to arrest those trying to leave the country to commit terror. Harper noted that active investigations were underway, and that they remained concerned about the threat. Trudeau asked again in English, and got much the same response.
Roundup: A few answers and a fuzzy line
The RCMP gave a lengthy press conference yesterday on the “domestic terror” incident in Quebec, and laid out several more facts to the case – that they were aware that the person of interest was being radicalized, that they had been in contact with his family and the Imam at that local mosque after concerns were raised that they arrested him back in July and seized his passport after he expressed a desire to head to Turkey in order to join the fighting in Syria, but that they seemed to be making progress and that he appeared to want to turn his life around just a few weeks ago. And then the incident happened, but there wasn’t much that they could have done to prevent it because it’s not illegal to have radical thoughts, or to drive a car. One of the two soldiers that he ran down died of his injuries yesterday, the other’s injuries are minor. The whole incident raises questions about passport seizures – especially as it means that they might be more likely to commit an act of violence here in Canada – and also highlights the fact that the threshold for where an act of violence becomes an act of terrorism is a subjective one. Defence Minister Rob Nicholson said that the death of that soldier will strengthen the resolve of our CF-18 pilots headed to Kuwait. Stephen Saideman offers some perspective sauce on the whole issue. Michael Den Tandt says that Canada can’t pretend to be immune to the threat of terrorism any longer, but it depends how the government handles the next steps that will be the most telling.
Roundup: Stoking fears to mute criticism
Critics of the government fear that they will use threat of ISIS to mute any criticisms about expanding CSIS’ powers while also not increasing any oversight, transparency or accountability for it or other national security agencies. The government claims that any such measures would be “duplicative,” which is risible.